Jacqui's Family History Library ID PhotoJacqui began a Church Service Mission to the Family History Library in January, 2003. She was so happy to have finally received this call. The call was a result of her spending countless hours doing research for her ancestors in Ticino, Switzerland and, having become an expert on the records from there, helping several others (always without charge) do research in the same area.
As she used the microfilm, she discovered flaws in the way they were cataloged and had to work through some frustration about changes in what was available. She met Keith Rose and Ruth Merriman from the Italian section of the Family History Library when she worked with them on the 2002 POINT (Preparing Our Italian Names Together) Conference committee and told them about the problems she had found. When they realized Jacqui really knew what she was talking about and recognized the quality of her work, they recommended she be called to correct the previous cataloging for Ticino films and to do original cataloging for any that hadn’t already been done.
She was thrilled! She told me she felt it was her reward for all her effort in doing family history research for our family and for others. On January 30, 2003 she attended her first general meeting of the Family and Church History Department. In her notes from the meeting, she quoted Elder Henry B. Eyring. He said, "Through the feelings you feel while you are working, you are receiving the thanks of the Lord." (Paraphrased) If Jacqui’s feelings were a reflection of thanks from the Lord, He is thankful indeed!
We all know how strongly Jacqui felt about being 100% honest. She was always on a soap box about genealogists siting sources for their family history research. I discovered just how much she practiced what she preached when I saw the Ticino maps she had tacked to the wall of her work cubicle at the Family History Library. The maps were copies she had taken off the internet and enlarged to cover the wall. Tacked to the wall beside them was a small piece of paper, highlighted in yellow, that read: "Maps from MAPBLAST!" She had printed their logo and placed it where anyone looking at her maps would know exactly where they came from.
She was so proud to wear her missionary name tag and to be part of the Family History Library staff. She also laughed at having perks such as free staff parking. She looked forward to the service she could do for Swiss-Italian genealogists and planned to go to the library twice a week–one day for missionary work and one day for personal research. When I was given her one and only time sheet after she died, I realized that she had spent only three official days on the job. Now I think she must be fulfilling a higher call.
.
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing so many stories. I realized I hadn't read any since the story of the crystal necklace one. This time Jared and I both sat down to read them. We both LOVED it.
We really had to stop and consider what the move to NY would have really been like? That would have been one long and wild trip. How great that she had preserved memories and feelings. That was -fun to re-read.
We also laughed at your Halloween memories, especially at the rolling of the garbage cans! What a riot.
I do remember specifically reading on Jacqui's maps, Mapblast. I never pieced it together as to why it was on there, but now it makes sense. Thanks again for letting us remember.
I was so interested about Jacqui's missionary work. Being down here in the middle of nowhere I was a little out of the loop at the time. I am so glad that Jacqui got the opportunity to do something so important. She really was a great example of someone who wasn't afraid to do things that were different and out of the box, another example, her volunteering for the Olympics. I have always been so thrilled that she had that experience.
Thanks for sharing all the details. I rememebr her being elated about her call. It was like a dream come true for her. She was always such a great example to us. I am glad she was able to help so many people and touch their lives. She is missed everyday!
I remember how ecstatic she was when she got the calling. I actually remember that we were just as excited as she was because we knew how important being dedicated to genealogy work was to her.
I'm grateful that she had the opportunity to give all of us a glimps into this great passion she had. Always volunteering and teaching through her action that being of service to others is so important.
She is missed, but her lessons live on and are never forgotten.
<3
Heather
Post a Comment