Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Random Memories

I 15.   On the freeway one day we drove past a semi carrying a load with huge bales of hay.  As we passed I looked out the window and noticed a little round hole, about two inches in diameter, in the side of one bale.  A little mouse was hanging on for dear life at the edge of the hole.  As it registered in my mind about the unlikely thing I had just seen, we left the truck behind us and, sadly, I did not see whether the mouse made it back into his hole.

Alaska   When John and I went on vacation to Alaska we took a bus tour through Denali National Park.  As the bus drove slowly along, the passengers all watched for wildlife out the windows.  Whenever anyone saw interesting wild animals, the driver stopped the bus so everyone could take pictures.  We saw an amazing scene: a grizzly bear was eating a caribou he had killed.  A wolf was pacing around and around the bear trying to get his share, but every time he got too close the bear raised up on his back feet and drove the wolf away.  We watched for quite a while; the wolf never did make any progress.  And, during that whole time, unbelievably, a little bird was sitting on the wolf's head.  We had to drive on and did not see how the situation was resolved.

At another stop on the same bus tour, I sat resting my head against my window while most of the other tourists looked at something out the other side of the bus.  I looked down at the edge of the road just as a little mother fox trotted by with about six tiny birds' legs hanging out of her mouth.  I think she was taking lunch back to her own Little ones.



No comments: